GREEK EASTER IN SITIA-CRETE May 1st to May 9th 2024
8 nights – 9 days with THEGREEKCHEF.US Price: 3.180 euros per person
EXPERIENCE: NATURE – CULTURE – GASTRONOMY – FILOXENIA
Sitia, a charming yet petite town situated in the easternmost part of Lasithi on the Greek island of Crete, serves as an excellent launching point for an intriguing exploration of the island’s most secluded area. Unlike some of the more touristy towns in Crete, Sitia boasts a tranquil, village-like ambiance. The region enjoys a pleasant climate throughout the year, characterized by predominantly warm and dry conditions, typical of eastern Crete.
Sitias Geopark, part of the Global Unesco heritage, offers amazing landscapes and walking paths, part of the European E4 path. Hundreds of caves, gorgers with streams and waterfalls.
The eastern part of Crete offers famous beaches like Vai Beach with the unique Palm forest, Mohlos Beach, Makris Yialos, Xerokampos, Kato Zakros, and more.
The house of the Arms in Sitia town, Casarma, 2 Minoan palaces, the Hamezi Folklore Museum, Toplou Monastery, Archeological Museum of Sitia, and the beautiful monastery of Kapsa. Feel the spiritual culture of the Greek Easter and experience the traditional Cretan music
Sitia is the home of the Cretan Extra Virgin Olive Oil with 40 million olive trees, more than 1200 species of herbs and edible wild greens, producers of some of the best vegetables and fruit in the country, meat and amazing dairy products, and restaurants that only offer traditional local cuisine.
“There is no other place in the world that gives you the genuine feeling of hospitality known as Hellenic ‘Filoxenia.’ Wherever you go, you will be greeted by smiling faces, and homes will open their doors for you. Their warm welcome will capture your heart forever.”
|Meeting Point: Sitia Airport May 1st Wednesday||
Available flight to Sitia at 15:20 from Athens
Arrival time 16:45 OA
· Check in at your beautiful self-contained Apartments in Sitia. Chosen carefully for you to feel the whole experience of the Cretan Home and Hospitality, 5 minutes’ walk from the beach, and a 15-minute walk from the center of Sitia’s Town.
· A light lunch will be served at home at your arrival.
· Unpack, Rest, wet your feet in the beautiful Cretan Sea, or swim (weather permitted). Get acquainted with your surroundings.
· A Cretan welcome is waiting for you in the evening with “Mousaka”, “Pastichio”, Raki, and live Cretan music. Get you introduced to the rest of the group and go over the schedule.
· A complimentary breakfast basket with Cretan goodies, fresh milk, eggs, cheese, honey, rusks, snacks, coffee, and tea will be at your apartment’s fridge and pantry so you can have your breakfast at your leisure at any time you wake up, in your room or in the beautiful garden outside your door.
· We will teach you how to paint your red Easter Eggs and learn to fold the traditional Sitian Easter Cookies “Kaltsounia “.
· A cooking lesson from Dimitra for her delicious cheese pies
· A traditional Cretan dinner in the town of Sitia
· After dinner, those who like to participate in the epitaph’s decoration will visit the church.
· Breakfast at home
· We depart at 10:30 with our luxury transportation for Toplou Monastery.
· Next we visit the Palm Forest beach of Vai.
· Followed by a special seafood lunch at Kakavia Taverna in Chiona beach.
· Return for a rest and at night, we will watch the procession of the Epitaph (optional).
· Light snacks and drinks on return home.
• Breakfast at home
• Departure at 10:30 with our luxury transportation, to an Olive Oil Farm where you will have an EVOO tasting, EVOO food pairing, and a hike for collecting fresh herbs and botanies, led by Licensed guide and specialist in the Cretan mountains.
· Back in Sitia for a rest.
· At night we visit the central church of Agia Ekaterini for the resurrection celebration and the burning of Juda.
· 2 types of “Magiritsa” (traditional Easter soup) will be offered at night, one traditional and a vegetarian choice as well, together with your Easter eggs and other traditional dishes.
· A full day of Greek Easter celebration at a local farm, you will participate in the whole process of making the lamb on the spit, “Kokoretsi”, grilling and cooking, picking salad vegetables, and milking sheep for your super-food breakfast.
· All these together with Cretan music and lots of fun.
· Free evening for you to enjoy Sitia by night.
· Breakfast at home
· We depart at 10 am to visit the Minoan Palace of Knossos in Heraklion with a professional guide.
· A walk in the city to introduce you to the famous Bougatsa Pie.
· Breakfast at home
· Departure at 10:30 with our luxury transportation to Kapsa Monastery, built on the side of the mountain as if an eagle’s nest.
· Visit Makris Yialos for a swim (weather permitting) or a walk in the picturesque small streets of the village for coffee and ice cream.
· Early evening dinner with traditional Cretan food in one of the best restaurants in Makris Yialos
· This morning breakfast will be my treat at Kafe-Café in the port of Sitia, with amazing “Nerates” and other specialties made by Diamanti
· A free day for you to do your souvenir shopping around town, rest, and pack your luggage ready for tomorrow’s departure.
· Enjoy a last night get-together at home with Greek street food, drinks, and “Loukoumades” to say our farewell.
Departure time 09:20 from Sitia, Arrives 10:25 in Athens
|· Early morning departure to the airport for your return to Athens or connecting destinations back home filled with fantastic memories|
§ You can extend your vacation time in Sitia should you wish to. Talk to us about other arrangements.
§ If you wish to have an extra stay in Athens, before or after the “Experience” we will be happy to connect you with our partners to stay as long as you like and visit the historical sites of Athens, experience the city by night, or visit nearby wine farms and places of interest.
§ Also available special day tours for long layovers between your connecting flights by Vouryia.
- Your domestic flights from Athens to Sitia and Sitia Athens with Aegean/OA
- The Greek Chef US, Tony Kavalieros as your personal culinary host in Sitia from day one until your departure.
- 8 nights’ accommodation at Dimitras Apartments, double room/apartment sharing. Chosen carefully for you to feel the whole experience of the Cretan Home and Hospitality, 5 minutes’ walk from the beach, and a 15-minute walk from the center of Sitia’s Town.
- All breakfasts and snacks in Sitia
- Lunches including wine, beer, soft drinks, and bottled water in Sitia.
- 1 picnic at the olive farm in Sitia
- Dinners including wine, beer, soft drinks, and bottled water in Sitia.
- Land transport with a luxury bus in Sitia as well on arrival from and to the Sitia airport.
- 2 cooking hands-on workshops
- 2 cooking classes demonstrations
- All admission fees to historical sites in Crete as well as an English-speaking guide.
- Air tickets to and from your destination to Athens and back home.
- Hard Liquor beverages
- Purchased products.
- Any other private excursions out of schedule
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The specific tour is not suggested for children under the age of 14.
- The Experiences depend on conditions and factors beyond our control, and they may, consequently, be modified at any time. In such a case, we shall use our best efforts to promptly inform the Participant in the most appropriate manner.
- All Participants are required to disclose, at the time of booking, or in any case prior to the commencement of the Experience, whether the Participant suffers from any medical condition that may prevent the Participant from undertaking the Experience, including but not limited to epilepsy, dizziness, limb or back injury, angina or other heart condition, food allergy, dietary requirements or restrictions, severe or uncontrolled asthma, visual impairment, depression or recovering from recent surgery.
- Given the nature of our Experiences, we are not in the position to guarantee that all nutritional requirements will be met; however, we will make every reasonable effort to meet your needs. Note that the Cretan cuisine is at least 65% vegan and vegetarian and you will have the choice.
- We do not include personal insurance with our Experiences. We recommend that Participants purchase individually their own travel insurance (or ask their travel agent). We will not be held liable for services provided by third parties.
- Make sure you bring with your swimming suits, sea shoes, comfortable walking/hiking shoes, a hat, your favorite sunscreen cream, your camera or video recorder.
- Group size will be kept to 12 persons only.
- Special arrangements for a private group tour as less as 4 persons.
ABOUT THE EXPERIENCE
- On tour, you’ll bond with other culturally curious travelers over worthy moments, and you’ll head home with a bunch of new, adventurous friends.
- We’ll introduce you to locals where they live and work (private homes, vineyards, and farms). You’ll try your hand at their trades, from pasta and bread making to seasonal fruit picking.
- When you travel with us, you won’t have to figure out where to stay and eat, or worry about how to get from one place to the next. We’ll do it all for you.
- Your personal host “The Greek Chef US” (chef Tony) will be with you all the way, to help you understand the Greek culture, introduce you to the locals, cook traditional dishes with you and make sure your experience will be the best you ever had.
BOOKING AND CANCELLATION POLICY
- To organize and carry out the Experience and to offer the proposed services, we pay in advance and beforehand considerable amounts of money and undertake specific compensation obligations in the event of cancellations, either in whole or in part.
- Cancellation requests must be submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org and are not considered valid until we confirm receipt of the same in writing. The date on which the cancellation request is received by us will determine the cancellation fees applicable.
- In order to reserve your space a 30% payment is needed on booking.
- The full balance must be deposited by March 30th
- If reservation is made after March 30th 2024, the full amount must be deposited
- Before 1 calendar month from the scheduled commencement date of the Experience: €400€ of the down payment will not be returned. The remaining deposit amount will be returned.
- From 15 to 29 days prior to the scheduled commencement date of the Experience: 30% cancellation fee of the total cost of the Experience.
- From 8 and up to 14 days prior to the scheduled commencement date of the Experience: 50% cancellation fee of the total cost of the Experience.
- Less than 7 days prior to the scheduled commencement date of the Experience, or in case of no-show: 100% cancellation fee of the total cost of the Experience.
- Refunds will be returned within 60 days of the cancellation date, minus any transfer fees or credit card charges.
- For a family or a group of friends of 4-5 persons 5% discount for each person
- For a family or a group of friends of 6-9 persons 7.5% discount for each person
- For a family or a group of friends of 10-12 persons 10% discount for each person
- Contact us for special discounts and travel plans for “honeymooners” , seniors over 55, University students travelling in groups.